Amateur radio conversations

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Amateur radio conversations

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm

I was driving from Lowestoft where I live through to Uttoxeter yesterday and then back again. My van stereo is a Chinese ultra clever thing that has some issues - as in turning the volume down makes the speedo go to zero, and it has the habit of making my phone dial people at random - so it was a long quiet journey, so I stuck a few ham frequencies into the radio I normally use for marine band and business radio. My drummer passenger simply laughed and laughed. I got told off for calling on S20 because 145.500 was the calling g in frequency for some historic net about to start, and then some of the repeaters appeared to be a ham version of "what I had for dinner today" - Endless lists of callsigns, which nobody seemed to remember who was next with much "I'll just check I got it" comments - which in about half of the overs, they hadn't. One chap managed to get the fact he had just restored his Morris Minor into the conversation every time 'Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I was restoring my Morris Minor, when I recently had to fit a new head gasket" - responding to somebodies comment about a strange noise on somebodies over.

In over 8 hours driving out and back, not one sensible or interesting conversation about radio, but I did learn a few things about the best way to cook real suet dumplings. No conversations about performance, antennas or bands - but cars, food, the lack of variety from the local coop convenience store and best of all, complaints about Rachel on Countdown, and how she missed the most obvious solution. Sadly - I missed the endings of all these as I drove into and out of range.

Nothing has really changed has it?
G4RMT

Re: Amateur radio conversations

Postby m0lsx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:09 pm

It sounds like the gutter levels of the repeaters have spilt over onto FM simplex.
I stopped even listening to the repeaters years ago, as the half wits on them annoyed me.
I really do think the best thing that can happen to 2 meters is the closing down of all of the repeaters. As so few of the half wits on repeaters seem to realise that simplex exists, so it would get rid of most of the idiots & probably also & as a direct result, attract back those who left the band due to the poor behaviour.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm

The irony is that these weren't idiots at all - but long serving members of the ham fraternity, just pointless and inane chatting about the weather, how wet it was, how dry it would be, and clearly they do this all the time.
G4RMT

Postby brian-w » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Just because radio is the common denominator that brings us all together, doesn't mean that we have to incessantly talk about radio related topics.

Personally I get 'turned off' by such conversations and find it boring listening to all the chatter about 'I've got such and such radio connected to this and that aerial with a 5/9 signal from someone who is 200 miles away' so I go find something of a more general and interesting topic - Brain surgery is one, or at least discussing the merits of whether it's possible to capture & store brainwaves in such a way that they may be transplanted into someone else's brain. Could memories and other life events also be stored for later use? And yes, I have had such a conversation, and the offshoot is that as a result of discussions that were had, the person I was chatting to has now embarked on this as a serious scientific project with a few other like-minded people.

There's just SO much more out there to talk about than just who has what radio and why. The topics are endless - explore the world outside radio and expand your minds.
brian-w

Postby G4RMT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm open to almost anything but the person with me just found the entire thing ludicrously funny - which it wasn't meant to be. I was embarrassed to be on the same team frankly.
G4RMT

Postby jeffers » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 pm

I agree with Brian, why limit conversation to what I consider boring "radio talk". It is a hobby after all, and when a hobby gets serious, then surely it's no longer a hobby. I have given up on HF because I am fed with with rubber stamp copies. Nothing worse than calling CQ for 20 minutes to get a 5/9 from Spain, thanks for the contact 73's !! What's happened to rag chews and making friends on the airwaves ?

Kevin M0KAO
jeffers

Postby Minus1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 am

It's what has always put me off Amateur Radio, getting sucked into the male equivalent of two old women gossiping on the bus.
And having once, many years ago, had to ensure 30 minutes of sitting behind two old women gossiping on the bus about nothing... No thanks.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Chris P » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 am

There are female amateurs too so your comment could be considered sexist LOL
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby m0lsx » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

jeffers wrote:Nothing worse than calling CQ for 20 minutes to get a 5/9 from Spain, thanks for the contact 73's !! What's happened to rag chews and making friends on the airwaves ?

Kevin M0KAO

Try 17 meters, it is much more friendly & those who use it are far more likely to want a real QSO.
Unless I am operating a special event station, where I just want a few quick rubber stamp QSO's to put in the logbook, I tend to avoid 20 meters. The number of counties heard today does impress the public.
I also find 17 meters is an easier band to operate on, as it's shorter wavelength makes mobile & small garden operating much more efficient, so I get more mobile contacts & more people who are there to keep their love of radio going.

As to the general state of QSO's on the band. Personally, I think the fact that so many new radio amateurs cannot talk sensibly about radio is very telling of how poorly the new licencing system is working & the fact that they do not have an interest in radio, beyond talking, is even more telling.
An absolute passion for radio is what makes a radio amateur, not the acquisition of a licence.
With radio there is so much to talk about & I do not mean I have a black box & I brought this antenna, type QSO's. As personally I do not care what radio or antenna someone is using, unless it is something unusual, self made or unless it is relevant to the QSO.
When it comes to radio related QSO's, I have had many a long QSO with another radio enthusiast who is also licenced, & about diverse radio related topics such as about offshore broadcast radio, Short Wave Listening. Medium Wave Loop frame antennas. About something called Cognitive Bias when it comes to claims made by certain individuals about their antennas. I have had QSO's about old Valve radios, especially the old WD radios that I, like many, started my radio hobby using. I have had a conversation about a mutually known radio related individual, such as Eric Gotts & lots of other radio related QSO's.
I love radio & I still find as much to interest me today as I did in the mid 70's & I find it really sad, that so many people are now joining the amateur radio hobby, who have so little apparent passion for radio.
An amateur radio licence is not handed out just so amateurs can just talk to each other. Our licences makes that clear. As does the focus on the following quote from the licence, which is given great prominence in both the training given & in the foundation exam, where it is almost a guaranteed question.

“ A radio communication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, by duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.”

For me, it's the fact that some clearly just get a licence just to talk to others, not because of radio, that is ruining the hobby.
One of the things that really depresses me about the repeaters is the number of people. Who talk, just for the sake of talking. They have nothing to say, but that does not stop them.
It use to be an accepted norm that you listened a minimum of two thirds of the time & transmitted for a maximum of one third. Now it seems far too many want it 50/50.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Darkstar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 am

Good point Alan, but it also says that amatuer radio is for talking about matters of a technical or personal nature (paraphrase) At least if people are chatting about this and that, the bands are being used. Too often have i been on 2 mtrs all day and heard nobody, this is a bad state of affairs. In fact i am thinking of jacking it all in and selling up, and spending more time fishing. I have been a tutor for 11 yrs where are all the hams i taught? mostly on mobile phone apps or voip programmes that replicate radio, so what's the point in carrying on?
Darkstar

Next

Return to Amateur Radio