Whistler TRX2 Where to buy

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Whistler TRX2 Where to buy

Postby Westy K » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi all

New to this forum but have been reading posts for a while.

Have been scanning and SW listening for a long time (probably almost 30 years :shocker: ) and want to make the jump to digital. Cant quite justify the AOR at over £1000 so think I have decided on the Whistler TRX2.

My main question is. Is the unit supplied by Moonraker really any different to any other supplier in the UK. They say they have worked on UK band Plan with them where the other don't but they all come with the UK option.
If I went somewhere else could I get the Moonraker firmware

Any thoughts please.

Thanks
Westy K

Re: Whistler TRX2 Where to buy

Postby Alfie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Have never bought from moonraker but i do own the trx2 and also the aor dv1. the dv1 is simpler to use but the decode and audio on the trx2 is better so you are much better getting a trx2.

Best place to buy the trx2?? I got mine from ebay as the price was the best for the same thing :wink:

moonraker uk database i have not heard of. i guess they have built it from the uk scanning directory (link at bottom of forum) or the ofcom wtr or a combination of the two so i dont think it will be too essential

either way i would say the trx2 is the way to go (i regret spending a grand on the dv1 though i will always keep it as i finally found a tetra user close by to listen to which the trx wont do)
Alfie

Postby Westy K » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks Alfie

Thats reassuring.

I am likely to by from Radioworld, Have always been good (on the odd time i have used them) and they have a 5% discount code on line at the moment.

Was considering the Uniden for a while but would rather have a base station type scanner and not having NXDN discounted that one though i do like the look of it.

Its just something Moonraker say on there wabsite,
Moonraker have worked with Whistler to customise a UK band plan for the scanners! This ensures the radios cover UK bands in the correct steps and the correct mode. When a user does a service scan it will search in the correct steps for the selected band ensuring maximum received stations
That made me ask.

Cheers
Westy K

Postby Metradio » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Moonraker are the UK distributor for Whistler.
They do have some pull with Whistler regards firmware improvements.
Also Chris at Moonraker understands the operation and programming of the Whistler series.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby USAFE501 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:50 am

Morning,
I got my TRX-1 from Moonraker when first came to the UK - And I will second that Chris is very helpful with that particular radio. :thumbup:
Not sure what scanners/receivers you are used to operating ...Whistler TRX 1 and TRX 2 just need a few of your brain cells to get used to the way it works and programmed.

I have had variety of scanners in the past from AOR to most recently Uniden 3500's , they all have their own personalities and the TRX-2 is no different.
Enjoy it and take your time learning it and not sure if you have had much to do with DMR but that in itself takes a little while as I personally find it with more BASS in the audio....sounds like Barry White is on the air !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

USAFE501
PS You will be dreaming Colour Codes and Slot Times in no time at all :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
USAFE501

Postby Westy K » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks USAFE501

Thanks for the advice, looking forward to it.

Similar toy yourself have had AOR's, a Uniden3500 and a Fairhaven RD500 and old Yeasu FRG8800. Apart from the Unirden and my old AOR8000 everything else was bought secondhand.

Still got to get my head around some of the digital technicality's like colour codes.
for example I know there can be multiple users on one frequency, assume will a scanner receive them all if you are searching or in manual mode but if you save a channel to scan is it only that one operator and others would need saving separately?

Thats my starter and I don't even have it yet. :laughs:

Cheers
Westy K

Return to DMR & Digital Modes