HF/Unun etc.

SWLing and TX Forum, for everything below 30MHz...

HF/Unun etc.

Postby mike43 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:19 pm

I need some advice and some confidence here if possible. I am a SWL, I have just rerouted my random wire antenna to come into my shack in another direction. I have made a new ground instead of the radiator pipe. Where I live there is nothing but beach below 15 inches of soil. So I have dug a hole down about 3 feet 6 inches deep and about 2 feet 6 inches wide and then jack hammered a 6 foot length of copper pipe into the beach. I have filled the hole around this pipe with kitty litter (Bentonite clay) in the hope of making a good ground, I got the idea from the internet about RF grounding in rocky ground. This clay is topped off with another 18 inches of soil. This lot has been well soaked. I have fitted a Unun beside the ground and fitted the antenna wire to this, as well as the ground. From the unun there is a 6 feet length of RG58 to my antenna tuner and then to the radio. There is also a thick wire from the tuner and the radio to this ground. This morning I was tuning around just to see if there was any difference. I received some stations, on 49 meters I received Radio Missiones International from Honduras, Radio Bethel from Peru, BBC World Service from Kranji in Singapore, as well as Radio China International, Radio Romania International, and a few others as well as Volmet stations on usb. What I need to know for confidence in my setup is, does that sound OK and I have nothing to moan about or do I need to do something else. Sorry about asking a maybe daft question but I need to know for my own peace of mind. Thanks, Mike.
mike43

Return to HF & Shortwave