Listening to Shopwatch

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Listening to Shopwatch

Postby un1den » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:45 am

I have just asked this question on a DMR forum. How do I listen to a shopwatch frequency, do I need to write a codeplug etc.
I have been told that is ilegal to listen to shopwatch frquencies. Is it ilegal. Or is it like listening to aircraft don't tell any one what you are doing.

un1den
un1den

Re: Listening to Shopwatch

Postby m0lsx » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

It is illegal to listen to anything that is either not a public broadcast, a licence free transmission or amateur radio. so basically anything not intend for your reception.
So if it's not on a broadcast band. Such as VHF FM, or Long Wave etc. If it is not something like CB, licence free PMR 446, or an amateur radio transmission.
So Air band, Marine band, any form of PMR that is not licence free, etc etc are all a breech of section 48 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006.

Ofcoms guidance to scanner listeners gives the following information.

Unauthorised reception

There are two criminal offences, under section 48 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006, relating to unauthorised reception.
Offence 1
It is an offence if a person "otherwise than under the authority of a designated person: .... uses wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient."

Offence 2
It is also an offence for someone, otherwise than under the authority of a designated person, to disclose any information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message referred to in Offence 1. However, this does not apply where the disclosure is in the course of legal proceedings or for the purpose of any report of those proceedings. And, it does not apply where the information would have come to the person’s knowledge without the use of wireless telegraphy apparatus by him or by anyone else.
This means that it is also illegal to tell a third party what has been heard in a transmission a person has listened to illegally.

So basically anyone here who listens to anything not intended for their reception or licence free, or radio amateur & then logs that reception here has broken section 48 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 TWICE. Once in listening & a second time by informing others of the frequency.

But personally I only know of one incidence where anyone has been prosecuted & that was two half witted CB'ers from my home town who use to listen to the Police when the Police were on FM & in the clear. These half wits use to listen, talk about what they were hearing as it happened & even occasionally relay what they heard over the CB. So they had no one but themselves to blame.
I wish the press cuttings were available online as their appearance in court was hilarious.
A mate & I live only a few hundred yards away from these idiots & he had numerous raids & prosecutions going back to the 60's for breeches of the marine offences act. Broadcasting on land without a licence. And I lived about 50 yards away from him & was at that time being targetted by the DTI, who at that time enforced radio law. As I ran a P O Box used by numerous broadcasters & broadcast myself. But the DTI launched a massive raid on these two & one was a disabled & mostly bed ridden female who could not understand why.."It was my hobby!!" :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: Listening to Shopwatch

Postby un1den » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi m0lsx, Thanks for the reply.
un1den

Return to DMR & Digital Modes