Wind damage

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Wind damage

Postby mickydt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:01 pm

last weekend we suffered wind damage to parts of the roof which also took the top part of the discone type with it.

the vertical whip got torn off but the rest of the discone the horizontal rods and the angled verticals remain intact but yet it is still receiving fairly well so basically which part of the discone is the receive and really what is the top vertical for?

i am going to be replacing the whole system for a sirio type discone with fresh co-axial and plugs.

still interesting that the damaged one is still receiving fairly well from Morecambe it is picking up Bolton le sands and even Blackpool and over the bay to Barrow.

thinks some are just a little down.
mickydt

Re: Wind damage

Postby JGR » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:01 pm

The vertical section is supposed to help the discone reach the lower frequencies in the upper HF ranges, but to be honest they make very little difference as there is not enough metal in the air for HF reception as you cannot shove an elephant up gnats butt, figuratively speaking.
JGR

Postby mickydt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm

basically you are talking about 80mhz downwards so in that case i could run with it as it is or go for a fresh set up.

everything else is still as it should be on the discone type from what i can see and signals seem fairly good at the moment.

it may be worth getting the gear now then at some point get the new system up if i see any deterioration.

for now i will keep an eye on the situation and listen :rolleyes:

t.c ,

mike
mickydt

Postby G4RMT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Unless you need reception lower than Radio 2, then I'd just carry on. In fact - the addition of that top element is not even part of the normal discone science - it just adds a bit as a random piece of wire in the sky - but like all loaded whips - is pretty rubbish at it's resonant frequency and worse everywhere else - but it is still a bit of metal in the sky, or in your case, was .......
G4RMT

Return to General Discussion