SDRplay has released a scanner for RSP SDR receivers

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

SDRplay has released a scanner for RSP SDR receivers

Postby jon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 pm

SDRplay has announced the release of SDRuno v1.3 which includes a powerful integrated scanner

This major upgrade to SDRuno adds a number of important new features and is intended for all RSP models including the now discontinued RSP1.

Major new features include:

Frequency Scanning (for both frequency ranges and stored memory panel lists)
I/Q → Audio Output (for CW Skimmer for example)
A new configurable IF AGC scheme

They have produced two new video guides which describe the use of the Frequency Scanner and I/Q Output functions. Links to these videos along with many others can be found by going to the SDRplay Applications and support catalogue on https://www.sdrplay.com/apps-catalogue/ , and on our Youtube Channel on https://www.youtube.com/c/SDRplayRSP

However, the two new videos can be viewed directly by going to:
https://youtu.be/ndMWIK1JLbQ (New Features in SDRuno 1.3 - Scanning and AGC)
https://youtu.be/w_pH56aOdE0 (SDRuno IQ output and CW Skimmer guide)

For a full list of additions/changes and bug fixes, please see the release notes at: https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRplay_SD ... _Notes.pdf

For any questions or help regarding this new release, please contact SDRplay support via our dedicated support system at: https://www.sdrplay.com/support
For any other suggestions, please email feedback@sdrplay.com

We recommend that all users join our community forum where there is a wealth of knowledge and help available for using our products and software in a wide range of applications and circumstances. This forum can be found at: https://www.sdrplay.com/community
jon

Re: SDRplay has released a scanner for RSP SDR receivers

Postby radiostationx » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi Jon and yes I did see the announcement earlier in the week from SDRplay.
This is a very exciting development and one which has been on the sdrplay users wish list for quite some time.
The RSP1A is an amazing bit of kit given the price point, it is definitely on my wish list.
Congrats on the recent achievements.
Mike
radiostationx

Postby radiostationx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:23 pm

admin delete please
Last edited by radiostationx on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiostationx

Postby radiostationx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Tried this out, awesome work ! :mrcool:
Appols for a very amateur youtube effort but it shows you a little of what it can do.

https://youtu.be/GB8c4oniWhU
radiostationx

Postby deadite66 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:21 pm

as good as it is to have i still have reservations about sdruno.

1. no saving audio to file/s
2. interface is a mess for more than one vfo. cubicsdr and sdrconsole have favorites to quickly load multiple vfo.
3. (scanning) unnecessary to retune for channels within the bandwidth, just move vfo.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Postby rozbiff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:02 pm

SDRconsole is a far nicer interface and menu items are easy to find. Multiple VFOs (and receivers) a doddle.
SDRuno not intuitive (though they have at last ditched the RF gain setting being rf attenuation and thus working the opposite way to everything else). Menus are hidden in different windows, sometimes as 'settings' sometimes as a button, sometimes not where you'd expect them at all. Multiple VFOs confusing and VERY messy.

Scanning in sdruno is a good start....but you can only scan a single file...and if that file has different modes in it only the first in the list works...oh, and the first in the list is actually the second because the software seems oblivious to the first row in each file. Search and store will flummox new users if they don't switch it off completely as it generates a system error when you try and do anything else next time (after clicking on stop - in the scanning part not stop on the receiver window , which normally stops it, you need to uncheck the store option). Scanning only uses one tuner if you have a duo (and SDRplay's support of their own duo is p..s-poor so far...)

You can save audio to file...it's all or nothing and doesn't work well with scanning as there is no associated log to match data to audio.

Moving to a unified API has had a knock on effect as it makes it easier for third party software to work with all SDRplay devices instead of 1 or 2 out of the four

I do quite like the SDRuno displays...though it's taken all of my hair to get to this point (It survived using radios and computers together for 40 years until sdruno came along).
rozbiff

Postby radiostationx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi rozbiff and deadite66,
I do agree with you about some issues with sdr uno. Its not exactly easy to step right into, some study first pays off.
I hadn't got to recording a sound file yet as the unit only arrived a few days ago.
All as I can say is that the unit itself is very impressive given the price point, I do like the audio quality I must say, and the ability to change from VHF to HF with no attachments or fluff.
There is an 80 page user guide on SDR uno to work through but that is not unusual for a piece of radio equipment.
I have issued 2 support tickets in a few days, both were responded to within 5 minutes. That is excellent.

I am a newbie to sdr radio (aside from playing about with rtl dongles), I very much like what I have tried so far in both airspy and sdrplay products.

I had a quick go with HF airband reception with SDR uno earlier on this afternoon.

https://youtu.be/YayxjspPGjo

SDR Console, HDSR ,teaming this thing up with a Raspberry Pi3 as a host are more things to try out in the coming days..small steps at the mo but as said this is all great stuff for an experimenter.
radiostationx

Postby rozbiff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:24 pm

I'd bypass the RaspberryPi and go to osmodoid...or at the very least OrangePi. Rasps are great fun and can do some good stuff but once you start to try and shift high bandwidth audio about they are soon out of their depth....slow networking, no quality audio support on board, slow USB
For a basic remote narrow bandwidth monitoring post using a rtl device no problem. Remote adsb or AIS again with cheap rtl device they are very good

My experience of SDRplay support system is not good...in fact it's very bad. SDRuno software development is pedestrian....perhaps that will change now that it's 'in-house' (I'm not holding my breath).

Which SDRplay did you get?
RSP1A is the best value medium quality sdr about at the moment, RSP2 not as good but extra antenna port probably makes them a bit more flexible (the price they charge for the 'pro' version...ie, the metal box instead of plastic one is a joke?), RSPduo sounds like a good idea but for most use situations RSP1As would be much better value. The duo definitely works better in SDRConsole than it does in SDRuno...and what kind of fool would buy a duo and tie one tuner up decoding pings from aircraft when a £20 rtl-sdr.com / flightaware stick will do the job just as well? Or buy a duo to waste one tuner whilst using the other as a fairly poor scanner? Good uses for the duo will come along...but driven and programmed by other people.

I think it's great that SDRplay get their units manufactured in the UK rather than abroad. They are nice quality and perform very well....so much so I found a gullible person to take my Perseus away and thus allow me to buy some food for a change.
rozbiff

Postby radiostationx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi rozbiff,

Do you mean Odroid from Hardkernel ? Nice but lots of UK/USA buyers have been stung on import duty from South Korea
On the sdrplay . I got the RSP1A.

As to the flightaware stick, probably the most hyped thing I have seen in recent years. I bought 2 of the orange ones (They sold out of stock in their EU outlet /amazon.de in less than a week) but they have too large a casing to stack on a rpi or single board computer.
Stupid big casing for a small radio, clone of the rtl-sdr v3.

http://www.merseyradar.co.uk/airband-ra ... -compared/

Had a go with a blue one with saw filter but an rtl-sdr v3 teamed up with 1090 Habamp is good enough for me.
radiostationx

Postby rozbiff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:02 pm

RSP1A a good choice (I don't actually own one though.)

Sorry, yes to Odroid. Not had any problems with import duty myself.

As to stacking of rtl devicesthe nesdr smart work with two in a Rasp3B and then obscrure the other two ports. Flightaware or rtl-sdr.com a single device obscures the other three ports. Cables can avoid this but things get messy on a 'compact' kind of installation if everything needs extra cables.
On powered USB hubs the sizes again cause issues. On horizontal designs you can have nesdrsmart devices in each port so none wasted...rtl-sdr.com every other port can be used. On vertical ones the rtl-sdr.com ones almost fit (if they didn't have the convex faces they'd be ok. Only have one flightaware type (blue one) which I bought for comparison. It now lives at one of my remote locations attached to a pi and I can't really remember exactly how big it was...I think maybe a touch bigger than the rtl-sdr.com ones.
rozbiff

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat