Air Band Antenna Question

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Air Band Antenna Question

Postby Paul338 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi guys.

I want to buy a new air band antenna soon, The only place I can put it high and in the clear is at the bottom of my garden.
This will mean having a long run of coax, about 60 ft. I will be using it on a Uniden Bearcat UBC 9000 XLT scanner which is very
good on all frequencies.
I live in Worthing on the South Coast, London airport comes in quite well most days.
Can someone recommend a good antenna without spending to much.
Many thanks.
Paul
Paul338

Re: Air Band Antenna Question

Postby thelad » Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 am

Have a look at Broadsword antennas on Facebook.
thelad

Postby Paul338 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:29 am

Hi there.

I have just checked Broadsword antennas and there is nothing worth having
there, mainly mobile antennas. I will keep looking around and may have to spend
a little more then I wanted.
Looked on Facebook and that was ok, but I will not have an account on there
as I have had a lot of problems in the past. I need to find an email address if possible.
Paul338

Postby Minus1 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 am

Forget Facebook, search Google for "airband antenna", there are dozens.

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/airband-an ... mobile-use
https://www.moonraker.eu/antennas/scann ... g-antennas
https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/avionics/ ... -airmaster

Find one that suits your purpose and budget.
You may need an amplifier to cover a long cable length, but too great an amplification may introduce interference.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Paul338 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 am

As you say, there are many to pick from. I was just worried about the length of coax I am using may reduce
reception, then maybe not. I am sure I will decide on one soon lol.
Thanks for the reply.
Paul338

Postby Chris P » Thu May 16, 2019 1:33 pm

I would advise that RG213 should be the minimum spec coax to use with a feeder length over 20m although if you have a suitable budget aircell or heliax would be preferable , and a masthead preamp could be helpful so long as the antenna location is as far away from sources of local interference such as neighbouring buildings ( which could contain routers TVs and even led or street lighting) . RG58 would be totally unsuitable in this instance , and my usual suggestion of good quality satellite coax which is fairly low loss at VHF airband for reception purposes and cheap compared to RG213 /heliax etc may not be suitable either . Have you considered making your own dipole if you don't have the budget for the commercially available airband antennas such as the comet or D777. I would steer clear of cheap airband white sticks which in my experience do not perform as well as a simple dipole with each element being approx. 600mm in length . They can be constructed using PVC conduit and fittings and stiff wire (stripped down 2.5 T&E mains cable for example )

Having looked at the path between Worthing and both Heathrow and Gatwick you are doing well if you can receive any of the ground stations located at either . The aircraft transmissions will of course be readable . If you are on top of the south downs near steyning you might stand a chance.

The Nats tx site at Ventnor will be ok if you are in the right part of Worthing . You can see if you have a good signal path by checking the volmet signal from Ventnor which is on 128.600 Mhz or 135.375 according to my records
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby Paul338 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Chris.
Thanks for the post, I think I have the answer so just got to find some satellite coax at a good price.

Paul
Paul338

Postby radiostationx » Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 pm

I use Webro wf100 coaxial for my listening equipment, it has very good specs you can pick up a 50m drum quite cheaply..Make sure its webro though and not a nasty Ebay "CAI" marked copy/clone.

https://cpc.farnell.com/webro/wf100-black-50m/wf100-coaxial-cable-black-50m/dp/CB14804

The attenuation over 100m at 100mhz is "less than" 6.5db for Webro WF-100 , Aircell 7 by Paratronic is 3-4x more expensive per mtr and that has 6.28db loss @ 100mhz, RG-213 has 7db loss @ 100mhz.

You could consider making your own antenna, the link below from by blog

http://www.merseyradar.co.uk/airband-radio/home-made-coaxial-dipole-antenna-for-civil-airband/
radiostationx

Postby m3bsf » Sat May 18, 2019 2:24 am

Paul, Darren at Broad Sword Antenna's is a very helpful guy, drop him a message/email and tell him what your looking for, Broad Sword are VERY GOOD Antennas
m3bsf

Postby Paul338 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi guys.
Many thanks for the posts, I will look into it. Anything to keep things on the cheap side but good at the same time lol.
Do you have a contact email address ?? for Broad Sword Antenna's as I will not have an account with Facebook because
of past problems.
Paul
Paul338

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat