UNIDEN UBC125XLT Scanner ???

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

UNIDEN UBC125XLT Scanner ???

Postby PeterBoat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm

As a newcomer (complete beginner) to radio scanning, and living close to Felixstowe and Harwich I seek comment on my scanner preference, i.e. purchase of the UBC125XLT. This is reasonably priced and appears to cover my interest for marine band listening.

The instruction manual is difficult to follow without the scanner in front of me and it appears it will be very tedious and time consuming to manually load and tag the Felixstowe port operating frequencies.

Does anyone know if it is possible to link the scanner to my PC and with applicable software, can I use the PC to download the frequency information to the scanner to speed the process?

Thanks in anticipation
PeterBoat
PeterBoat

Re: UNIDEN UBC125XLT Scanner ???

Postby Minus1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Service Search Bank 4 covers the VHF marine band, and shows Marine channel numbers 1-28 and 60-88 automatically.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Scan125 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:21 pm

What you need is my *free* Scan125 Control Program

This will allow you to not only program channels but to take full operational control over the scanner and also do other things like recording.

See:

https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/index.html

and:

https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/M ... anual.html

If nothing else the User Manual will help clarify/explain/expand on the awful Uniden scanner manual.

Note! Whilst Scan125 is totally free and not restricted in any way it is "charity ware" so all I ask is that if you like it, it does what you want etc. then please consider making a donation to the DEBRA charity. I will not know if you have donated (unless you tell me) and *everybody* (those who donate or don't) get my full support.

Over to you :smiles:
Scan125

Postby PeterBoat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:26 pm

thanks to nick bailey and Minus1 for their replies to my original query in September, AND apols for delay in responding. I have definitely decided to purchase the UBC125XLT Scanner and looking around the web I find some suppliers are able to save me some hassle by pre-programming either airband or marine band frequencies - apparently the receiver does not have enough memory capacity for both. This is my dilemna ...... living near the coast (Felixstowe / Harwich port authority) marine band is my principal interest, but we do get a lot of passing civil air traffic - inbound and outbound to LHR / LGW / STD airports, so it would be good to receive these communications. Now got to find the civil airband frequencies I am likely to encounter. I know there are only some 75 or so marine band frequencies that will interest me. This research will dictate the options open to me - take the Nick Bailey freeware software and programme myself, or pay to have frequencies pre-loaded to the scanner when I make the purchase. Any comments appreciated.
PeterBoat

Postby Scan125 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 pm

If you want my honest opinion then just program the scanner yourself.

Here are my reasons/thoughts on this:

1) VHF/UHF frequencies are "line of sight" and low power communication methods. So buildings, hills, etc. block an attenuate the signal. This basically means that reception is "local" to you. Pre-programmed scanners will most likely contain frequencies that you can never ever pick up. A general exception would be PMR, CB and Marine Channels which a UK/EU wide pretty universal. Marine channels are easily able to be programmed by you.

2) Scanners are local reception devices. They also (certainly the UBC125XLT) have Search and Services scan functions. This means that with no programming they can scan particular bands for live signals and these can then be noted/stored by the operator. Using these functions will find what is local and active to you.

3) Beyond using the scanner's Search and Services functions then there is a wealth of information on the web. You mentioned airband. You can look up the frequencies used by your local airport(s).

4) Half the fun of the hobby is actually the investigative / train spotting / research and building "your" solution/frequency operational set-up as oppose to some blanket solution created at the other end of the country.

Lastly many people get disappointed when they get their first scanner. The manuals are poor. The scanner appears to pick up nothing. Also the supplied rubber dick antenna is far from ideal.

You mention Marine and Air. These are always very safe bets if:

1) You are near to the sea / ports
2) You have aircraft flying over you

Whilst I'll always plug/recommend my Scan125 program over competitor programs, Scan125 will get you up and running, the User Manual will provide some clarity compared to the Uniden manual.
Scan125

Return to General Discussion