scanning info

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

scanning info

Postby laddie007 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:21 pm

hi not logged in to the group far a few years. but had numerous scanners over the years .
about 17 -18 years ago i could listen to the police and emergency channels but then i think they went digital , and i could no longer receive then on my bearcat scanner .
is there anything yet come onto the market i can buy to listen to them again. thanks in advance ..
laddie007

Re: scanning info

Postby deadite66 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:59 pm

if you can't find them on analogue nfm they will use encrypted tetra (airwave network).
nothing you can do to listen in.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole and modified MLA-30 loop.
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Postby Minus1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:45 am

You can still get Fireground walkie-talkie channels in most areas.
457.0375 NFM is a good place to start.
Short range though, just line of sight, and only if there is an incident near you.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby mark99 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Fireground is going DMR and is in a lot of areas, they also have encryption option on the new 4801 sets, it has been heard in use in encrypted mode
mark99

Postby thelad » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:25 pm

mark99 wrote:Fireground is going DMR and is in a lot of areas, they also have encryption option on the new 4801 sets, it has been heard in use in encrypted mode

What area is they Encryption? That makes no sense and would also go against the national band plan.
thelad

Postby USAFE501 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 am

Morning,
UHF Fireground comms have been using DMR in some areas for couple of years now.
When I left Hertfordshire Fire 6 + years ago we were using Icom handhelds analogue and were awaiting ( about a month later) replacements of a UHF handheld that was analogue PMR and Digital DMR.....This meant the problem of any bordering Fire Services that hadn't yet changed their radios for digital could still communicate with Firefighters as the new radios were PMR and DMR combined.

I think West Yorkshire were the first to go to digital UHF Fireground radios.....Bandplan and freqs stayed the same I believe however there is now the addition of slot times and Colour Codes that are common Nationwide (quick search online should tell you what they are)

Hope that makes sense , quite surprised the Fire Services had the forethought to have PMR and DMR to allow all users to stay in touch.....I remember before Airwave, Hertfordshire mainscheme radio was Low Band AM , but we bordered Essex who decide to go to Lowband FM , Bucks used voice and data !!! It was a real mess....we had to buy new radios that were lowband switchable AM and FM just so we could keep in touch !!!!!....Lincolnshire who were a little bit further North scrapped their radios completely for Mobile phones as they offered better coverage , but other Appliances couldn't hear each other as they had always been used to !!! :shocker: :shocker:
Roll on ESN , not sure if that project involves Fireground Comms or just replacement for Airwave

Thanks
K :thumbup:
USAFE501

Return to General Discussion