Best Dmr Handheld for a Beginner?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Best Dmr Handheld for a Beginner?

Postby colin1951uk » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Hello folks,

Been a while since I've been on here but would appreciate some advice.

I've been analogue scanning for many years (currently have a Uniden UBC125XLT) and many local services are now switched over to digital (a couple I think encrypted with like machine gun firing sound transmissions) so I think it's time for me to empty my wallet and upgrade to a digital scanner.

I want to stay with a handheld and think either Uniden UBCD-3600XLT or Whistler TRX-1 are the ones to seriously consider. Help on whether I'm right on this for a start.

Either way and after looking at the user guides for both I have to say: Oh My God, digital listening seems so complicated and very different to analogue!

Of the two I think the Whistler might be the easiest to get used to (I've worked out it has shortcut keys which look to be a big help if I want to input frequencies that are in my head and maybe monitor a single frequency at any one time.) I've given up on trying to understand the 3600XLT as the manual seems so badly written for my old grey cells.

The Whistler I believe comes with a UK band plan (if bought from Moonraker anyway) and again I believe the 3600XLT doesn't and everything has to be manually adjusted. I may be nuts about this aspect so again need help with it.

So the bottom line is as a complete newbie to dmr which unit would give me the easiest learning curve to get up and running? Neither are cheap so I want to make the most of my money.

Thanks for putting up with reading this....Colin.
colin1951uk

Re: Best Dmr Handheld for a Beginner?

Postby Metradio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:22 pm

In simple terms the 3600 looks better, the TRX1 works better :biggrin:
Both are difficult to program and require a PC computer to program multiple frequencies.
They are like Marmite love 'em or hate 'em.
Both digital and analogue signal can be found - and heard - by simply Searching, no other settings required, the problems occur when trying to program the found frequencies into memory, as a number of confusing parameters are required and only familiarity with the programming overcomes this.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby M3ZYH » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm lucky enough to own both radios, and the TRX1 performs far better resolving DMR transmissions than the UBC. Also, on the TRX1, you can press the Fn and 0 key and tune up and down at will.
The TRX1 easily out performs the UBC. :smiles:
M3ZYH

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:21 pm

This may help...both are good scanners, and not a lot between them IMHO:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6988#p38605
jimh

Postby colin1951uk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Ok folks, thanks for the input and after digesting it and having a look at some stuff on YouTube I'm going for the TRX-1.

It does look a bit of a brick, but that doesn't worry me as I'm pretty well convinced it's the easier of the two to use.

I notice from the post by jimh that it's a bit deaf on the airbands, but that's not a problem as I can continue using my Uniden UBC125XLT for that stuff.

It's a pity I haven't got a local dealer for radios, I used to have SMC but they're long gone. Nevada is now the closest, but I can't get at them as they're out in the sticks and due to a leg problem I haven't been allowed to drive for nearly three years. Just playing around with either unit would have been very beneficial and no doubt I could have made a purchase afterwards.

Anyway I should have something in my hands on Tuesday and I'll take it from there.

If I need more clarification I'll pop back on here, I think I'll need patience more than anything :smiles:

Cheers....Colin
colin1951uk

Return to DMR & Digital Modes