DISCONE ANTENNAS

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

DISCONE ANTENNAS

Postby EarsJohn1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi, I am new to scanning and also want to get into SW listening (I have an old Trio R–1000 receiver which I need to resurrect). I've been looking at discone antennas such as the Scan King Royal base antenna and wonder if anybody has any experience of these and can comment how good they are? Or an alternative? I'm looking to install an antenna in my loft as opposed to outside. I've seen desktop antennas but they look an awful lot bigger than what I would term desktop, I also wonder if the loft space is in the better area to receive signals.

If anybody has any comment I would much appreciate, thank you
EarsJohn1

Re: DISCONE ANTENNAS

Postby Chris P » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:37 am

Discone antennas are wideband antennas more suited to VHF and UHF operation and provide a true wideband coverage over 50-500Mhz , but even those with a vertical loaded whip do not give very good results for HF compared with a miniwhip or loop for example . If you are limited to using the loft space for a location of your antenna I would suggest a Magnetic loop such as those manufactured by wellbrook remembering that they may also need a rotator to get the best results . When using the loft space try to position your antenna as far away as possible from any mains wiring or plumbing metalwork to reduce noise pickup .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby EarsJohn1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:33 am

Thank you for the response and advice Chris. I've taken a look at magnetic loop antennas as you suggest and noted they are quite expensive though as you are recommending them I assume the results must be worth the cost. A rotator I assume will add quite a bit of additional cost, it is the case that a rotator will enhance good performance or that a rotator is absolutely necessary?

Thanks again

John
EarsJohn1

Postby Chris P » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 am

some sort of means to rotate the loop would ideally be required as magnetic loops are bi directional and to gain the benefits from this the loop should be rotated either to enhance the wanted signal or to null out an unwanted one.

when I first started transmitting on 145MHZ in the late 60`s I had a yagi in the loft space that was rotated using a string and pulley arrangement In the end I acquired an aircraft actuator which provided a 180 degree rotation at a slow speed
. Quite a lot of SWLs use dipoles or longwires on HF which due to their size and construction cannot be rotated so a garden or loft with a suitable orientation is of benefit . Magnetic loops for internal use are available, and if your loft hatch is readily accessible a pair of steps and a long arm could be used to rotate the loop .

An alternative could be a small flag antenna or horizontal loop in the loft if it is of a suitable size . Many SWLs seem to be able to get reasonable success with whip type antennas on the SW broadcast bands and there are several types of mini whips with amplifiers that give reasonable results . Unfortunately there are not many of us that can set up multiple longwires or beverages to give 360 degree coverage unless you own a very large estate
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Return to General Discussion